Studies show that last year more money was spent at pet stores on Valentine’s day then was spent buying gifts for significant others! Lucy Postins, founder of The Honest Kitchen, would love to help your readers make this a special day for their pet with some homemade TLC. Lucy has created hundreds of nutritious recipes that began from experimenting with home cooked raw foods for her pets, which eventually evolved into her nationally-distributed line of raw pet foods. For Valentine’s Day, she has a special treat for pets called “Valentine’s Day Nibbles” from her pet cook book, Made Out of Love
valentines liver nibbles
This recipe uses heart-shaped or other cookie cutters to make pretty treats as a gift for your
pet – or his or her boyfriends and girlfriends – for Valentine’s Day or other special occasions.
2 cups fresh raw chicken liver, preferably organic
2 free range eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups instant quinoa flakes
3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup dried cranberries or blueberries
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
1 tsp of dried basil
Filtered water sufficient to make a batter
what to do
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Process the liver in a blender or food processor until completely pureed.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour in the oil.
4. Add the pureed liver.
5. Mix in the dry ingredients slowly, stirring continuously so they are thoroughly
combined. Add water gradually until you have a ‘batter’ consistency.
6. Pour this batter into a flat 1½ to 2” cake tin.
7. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
8. Cool in the tin until able to be handled, then gently turn the ‘cake’ out onto a rack
and refrigerate to cool completely.
9. Use heart-shaped or other cookie cutters to gently press out individual shapes