Learn the fundamental tools and techniques of drawing with Walter Foster Publishing’s Step-by-Step Studio! Easy-to-follow, step-by-step projects help beginners hone their skills while creating artwork across a variety of subjects, from still life and landscapes to animal portraits and botanicals.
Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Concepts and Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Lifelike Subjects (both publishing March 2, 2021) are project driven and introduce beginning artists to the fundamental tools and techniques of their chosen medium. Easy-to-follow step-by-step projects help beginners hone their skills while creating artwork across a variety of subjects, from still life and landscapes to animal portraits and botanicals. Featuring in-depth instruction, these are the perfect guides for beginning or intermediate artists. After an introduction to basic materials and techniques, four accomplished artists offer insight, tips, and step-by-step demonstrations and illustrate important concepts.
A complete guide to rendering flowers, landscapes, and animals
Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Life like Subjects teaches beginning artists how to create realistic, detailed drawings in graphite pencil.
Featuring in-depth instruction on basic drawing techniques, creating texture, developing likeness, and more, Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Lifelike Subjects is the perfect guide for you as a beginning or intermediate artist. After an introduction to basic materials and pencil techniques, four accomplished artists offer insight, tips, and step-by-step demonstrations that help create detailed, lifelike drawings of your chosen subjects, including animals, flowers, and landscapes. Learn to create texture and likeness using basic pencil techniques, understanding perspective, exploring light and shadow, developing values, and more.
- Dogs & Puppies: From a soulful Basset Hound puppy to a full-grown German Shepherd, learn to draw your chosen breed step by step.
- Flowers & Botanicals: Explains basic flower anatomy and how to render detailed still lifes and florals using basic pencil techniques to convey light and shadow.
- Beautiful Landscapes: See the world through the eyes of an artist as you recreate coastal scenes, warm cottages, and pastoral landscapes.
- Lifelike Animals: Capture the essence of your favorite wild animals, including elephants, tigers, lions, wolves, and more.
A complete guide to essential drawing techniques and fundamentals
Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Concepts offers the fundamental information beginning artists need to kick off their creative pursuits in graphite pencil.
Featuring in-depth instruction on composition, value, creating textures, using and manipulating photo references, and more, Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Concepts is the perfect guide for you as a beginning or intermediate artist. After an introduction to art tools and materials and very basic techniques, four accomplished artists offer insight, tips, and helpful demonstrations that illustrate important art concepts and techniques. You will also find an impressive and varied selection of step-by-step projects to re-create, including still lifes, flowers, animals, landscapes, and portraits in the four sections.
- Values: Covers shapes, form, the light source, how to create depth, and the elements of design.
- Dynamic Compositions: Discusses viewpoint, the golden mean, symmetry and asymmetry, focal points, landscapes, and negative space.
- Realistic Textures: Focuses on rendering the many different textures found in traditional still lifes, animals, people, plants and flowers, and landscapes.
- Step-by-Step Exercises: Includes additional drawing projects, such as a teddy bear, landscape, horse, floral still life, portrait of a girl, and fruit and wine.
Throughout the book, artists Ken Goldman, William F. Powell, Diane Cardaci, and Carol Rosinski offer practical and easy-to-understand drawing techniques and art principles. The journey through Step-by-Step Studio: Drawing Concepts is not about making perfect drawings; it’s about making each drawing better than the one before it, while having a great time.