Grills will soon be heating up across the country for the Fourth of July holiday. Make your backyard barbeque a standout this year with duck. If you’re burned out on the usual beef, pork or chicken, duck is a versatile and delicious alternative to other meats — and it’s just as easy to prepare.
Just in time for Independence Day, Maple Leaf Farms has created a duck grilling kit complete with ready-to-grill duck products, duck grilling guide with duck recipes and an exclusive “Fire Quacker” apron. Its farm-raised White Pekin duck products have a tender, mild flavor that adapts to a variety of flavor profiles. Plus, duck is surprisingly healthy and is leaner and has less saturated fat than other meats.
The Fire-Quacker Duck Grilling Kit features 8 skinless duck breasts for a delicious filet flavor, 4 lbs. of all natural ground duck meat that’s great for burgers and 32 fully cooked duckbrats, a classic sausage made healthier with duck and Maple Leaf Farms’ newest product offering.
Duck has amazing, mouthwatering flavor when cooked on the grill and will be sure to turn up the heat at your next backyard get-together. This recipe using all new duck brats is a great way to introduce duck to your holiday celebration.
Find more recipes for the grill and information about cooking with duck at mapleleaffarms.com.
Tucker Family Duck Brats with Onion Jam
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4–6 Maple Leaf Farms Duck Brats, thawed
- 2 cups beef stock or beer
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4–6 hoagie rolls, toasted
1. In large pan, heat butter until foaming. On low heat add the onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper; stir and let onions caramelize for about 20 minutes. Add Dijon mustard and stir. Addduck brats to the pan and pour beef stock or beer over brats. Add apple cider vinegar and cook to medium heat; braise for 10 minutes. (Duck brats are already fully cooked).
2. Remove brats and let onion mixture simmer on medium while you finish the brats on a medium-high heat grill about 4–5 minutes on each side.
3. Serve brats in hoagie roll with onion jam on top.
- 8 to 10 oz. Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast Meat or Boneless Duck Breast, skin removed
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 10 oz. Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme, roughly chopped
- 1-3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder (divided)
- 6 slices Prosciutto
- Spicy or Course Ground Mustard for brushing meat
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (cut in half and prepped to cover 2 Wellingtons)
- Egg Wash (1 Egg Yolk and 1 tsp. Water)
1. Season your duck breast meat with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pan and quickly sear the meat all over, about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes each side. Remove and allow to cool.
2. Roughly chop the mushrooms and pulse chop in a food processor to form a coarse breadcrumb-like texture. Scrape the mixture into a hot, dry pan. Add thyme, 3/4 tsp. of your garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook to allow the water to evaporate. When sufficiently dry (the mixture should be sticking together easily), set aside and cool.
3. Roll out a generous length of plastic wrap and lay out 3 slices of prosciutto, each one slightly overlapping each other. Spread half of the mushroom mixture evenly in a thin layer over the prosciutto. Repeat for the second Wellington.
4. Brush your duck breast meat all over with spicy mustard. Place 4-5 oz. of duck in the middle of each prepped prosciutto, and neatly roll it over the duck. Keeping a tight hold of the plastic wrap from the outside, roll it into a tight barrel shape and twist the ends to secure the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry thinly to a size which will cover your duck. Lightly egg wash the entire surface of one side of pastry and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Unwrap one of the meat logs from the plastic wrap and place the duck meat in the middle of dough. Fold dough over, stretching and pinching as needed, to seal completely. Remove any excess dough and fold any seams neatly to the underside. Place seam side down on a plate and egg wash over the top. Repeat the process for the second duck meat log. Chill again to let the pastry cool, approximately 20 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
6. When you’re ready to cook, egg wash again and use the back of a knife to lightly score the pastry. Do not cut through your pastry. Place bundles seam side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for about 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving in thick slices.
About Maple Leaf Farms:
Maple Leaf Farms, Inc. is America’s leading producer of quality duck products, supplying retail and foodservice markets throughout the world with innovative, value-added foods. Founded in 1958, Maple Leaf Farms is a fourth generation, family-owned company. For more information, contact Maple Leaf Farms at 1-800-348-2812 or visit www.mapleleaffarms.com.
As you may know I am Asian and I have some special taste different than my husband, who is a Sicilian and Scottish mix. For a mix couple, the most important thing is we have to eat together, but sometimes it is difficult since I have a really authentic Asian taste. Luckily, my husband loves exploring different types of foods. He loves traveling, he loves adventures. Lucky me!
Recently, we did something pretty amazing – we combined my Asian taste with his Italian cook together. We made a Asian duck pizza! You can see the photo above, it is a full-topped pizza. We love adding a lot of toppings on the pizza because we are not thick pizza dough fans. This time, we added duck brat pieces for proteins. It works out amazing.
The duck brats are sooooo juicy. They come from Maple Leaf Farms. There are tons of great duck products and recipes on their website, and their duck products quality are super great.
It is grilling season. Gear up with this limited time, grill ready, Independence Day Duck Pack!
- (32) All New Duck Brats Case (8 packs of 4)
- Ground Duck Case (4-1 lb. packages)
- (8) Boneless Skinless Breast (2 packs of 4 breasts)
- FREE Tucker Family Recipe Card
- FREE Fire Quacker Apron
- FREE SHIPPING!!!
Duck is on the Grill this Independence Day! For a limited time only, get your Maple Leaf Farms Duck Grill Kit here and gear up for the 4th of July. The Duck Grill Kit features a free exclusive holiday themed “Fire Quacker” apron along with delicious & nutritious skinless duck breast, classic ground duck, and the new Duck Brats!
Grill up some skinless duck breast for a delicious filet flavor with poultry nutrition or cook up some delicious ground duck burgers with all of your favorite toppings. The new duck brats are sure to leave your mouth watering, and a Tucker Family Duck Brat recipe is included in your kit.
About Maple Leaf Farms:
Maple Leaf Farms, Inc. is America’s leading producer of quality duck products, supplying retail and foodservice markets throughout the world with innovative, value-added foods. Founded in 1958, Maple Leaf Farms is a fourth generation, family-owned company. For more information, contact Maple Leaf Farms at 1-800-348-2812 or visitwww.mapleleaffarms.com.
With 4th of July right around the corner, it’s time to “Pair With Parrano” by crafting your favorite recipes using Parrano® cheese. Incredibly versatile, Parrano® can be served in a variety of ways including on a cheese platter, on a kabob with fruit for as an easy appetizer , and in ideas both on and off the grill. Not only can it be paired with favorite foods, it’s also great with a cold summer time drink like a Lager, or Kolsch.
“Parrano® is the perfect cheese to pair with just about anything. The combination of Gouda and Parmesan offer a meltability and flavor unmatched by other cheeses,” says Tara Kirch, Senior Marketing Manager for FrieslandCampina. “This national holiday, plan BIG with amazing ways to create dishes your friends and family will love.”
Click here to browse Parrano’s full recipe collection, print recipes, and save recipes to your own simple entertaining cookbook. Parrano® offers many new entertaining summer suggestions such as: Parrano® & Sun Dried Tomato Scones, Gouda Popcorn, Beer Pretzels, Sweet Onion Dip, and Pepperoni Roll-ups to name a few. Or, have fun and create your own “Pair with Parrano” recipes by combing Parrano® cheese with the ingredients you love, and make something truly unique!
Parrano® selection of cheeses include:
- Parrano®, Originale. A one-of-a-kind Cheese aged for five months, developing its nutty Parmesan flavors while maintaining the firm, smooth texture of a young Gouda.
- Parrano® Truffle. Inspired by Italy, Parrano® Truffle follows the original recipe for Parrano®, blending the flavors of a nutty, salty Parmesan and the creamy sweetness of a Gouda, with Italian black truffle shavings for a complex flavor like no other. Parrano® Truffle is irresistibly delicious and is excellent shredded, sliced or melted.
Speaking of perfect pairs – try these two great recipes that pair Parrano® with Burgers and Jalapenos!
Parrano® Pimento Cheese Topped Burgers
Parrano® Pimento Cheese Spread*
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce
2 cups Parrano® cheese, grated
1 6.5 oz jar pimentos, chopped
2 tbsp yellow onion, finely grated
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80% lean and 20% fat)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 hamburger buns
With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Fold in remaining ingredients, mixing until smooth. Keep refrigerated until burgers are ready.
Preheat the grill to medium high. Combine the ground beef, BBQ sauce, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Mix just until combined with your hands and shape into 4 patties about 3/4-inch thick.
Make a well in your patties with your thumb to prevent from bulging. Place burgers on the grill and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and then cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Top with Parrano® Pimento Cheese Spread.
Serve hamburgers on buns.
Kickin’ Parrano® Poppers
1/2-pound ground spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained
3/4 cup Parrano® cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
10 jalapeño peppers*
10 bacon strips
10 bamboo skewers soaked in water
In a bowl, mix the sausage, Parrano® cheese, cream cheese and a few dashes of Buffalo sauce, to your taste. Place mixture in a gallon, zip top plastic bag and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Cut the tops off the peppers and set aside. Remove and discard the seeds and ribs. (*Jalapeño peppers can be irritating to the skin and eyes. Wear gloves when cutting and de-seeding the peppers and wash hands thoroughly when you are done.)
Cut the corner off the plastic bag of sausage mixture. Pipe the filling into each pepper.
Skewer each pepper. Wrap each pepper with a strip of bacon, securing the bacon to the skewer.
When ready to serve, preheat a broiler. Place peppers on a baking sheet
and cook about 15 minutes, turning frequently, until the bacon is crisp, and the peppers are soft. Best served hot.