Olive Oil – It’s All About The Benefits
Happy 4th of July!
Let’s get healthier together starting from this holiday.
Ruccello Olive Oil provides high-quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil from around the world, other specialty products and education for people who love to cook healthy, fun, glorious, delicious meals that satisfy the soul.
Ruccello Olive Oil, founded in 2017 by Monterey native RoseAnne Ruccello-Fischer, specializes in Extra Virgin Olive Oils from the Tuscany region in of Italy and from California, as well as hand-crafted olive wood items, olive oil soaps and lotions and handmade aprons. Coming this summer, she will be offering Balsamic vinegars.
Ruccello is committed to educating the consumer on the many health benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and how to be a discerning consumer through olive oil tastings, olive oil and food pairing events and house parties showcasing EVOO.
There is actually quite a bit of research on the health effects of olive oil, especially Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Studies show that the mono-unsaturated fats and antioxidants in EVOO have some powerful health benefits, such as a reduced risk of heart disease.
According to healthline.com, here is why EVOO is often considered the “healthiest fat on Earth”:
- Real “extra virgin” olive oil is 100% natural and very high in antioxidants. Many of the lower quality olive oils have been processed and adulterated with cheaper oils.
- Olive oil is very high in monounsaturated fats and contains a modest amount of vitamins E and K. True EVOO is loaded with antioxidants, some of which have powerful health benefits.
- Olive oil contains oleic acid and oleocanthal, nutrients that can fight inflammation. This may be the main reason for olive oil’s health benefits.
- EVOO may be one of the healthiest foods you can eat for heart health. It lowers blood pressure, protects LDL particles from oxidation, reduces inflammation and may help prevent unwanted blood clotting.
- Although mostly studied for its effects on heart health, olive oil consumption has also been associated with a number of other health benefits, including fighting cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease. There is preliminary evidence for these health benefits, but this needs to be confirmed in human controlled trials.
- Olive oil, which contains mostly monounsaturated fatty acids (only one double bond), is actually fairly resistant to high heat. In one study, researchers heated EVOO to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit) for 36 hours. The oil was highly resistant to damage. Another study used olive oil for deep frying, and it took 24-27 hours for it to reach damage levels that were deemed harmful. So, overall, EVOO seems to be very safe… even for cooking at a fairly high heat.
- EVOO is most definitely a “superfood,” however, it is extremely important to get the right stuff. That is, EVOO that hasn’t been diluted with cheaper oils or even mislabeled as EVOO.
“Consumers know that olive oil is good for you, but there are a lot of myths about it out there,” says Ruccello. “I want to share what I’ve learned and I want to provide a product that people can trust and feel safe in the knowledge that the products are of the highest quality.”
Fonte di Foiano 1979 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The area where the olives were harvested: Castagneto Carducci – Bolgheri, Tuscany
Olive variety: Frantoio, Moraiolo
Harvest time: October
Characteristics: Intense fruity with notes of grass, artichoke and tomato leaf. It’s spicy and bitter – a very good characteristic.
Get a sampling of 3 different Extra Virgin Olive Oils, 100 ml bottles:
- Olivastra Seggianese
- Fragrance: a clear scent of olives, fresh and delicate, typical of Olivastra, strong hints of vegetable with clear hints of artichoke and slight hints of banana.
- Taste: delicate, well-rounded, with well-balanced fruity and herbaceous flavors, very light and elegant. Initially with sweet sensation on the palate, which develops into a medium peppery intensity. Beautifully harmonious and elegant complexity with a spicy and fresh finish.
- Use: fresh on mushroom appetizers, boiled lobster, seafood salad, chickpea soup, fish couscous, fresh cheese, bakery products. Excellent as raw artichoke dip, with home-made mayonnaise, oil-preserved vegetables, and baking.
- Villa Magra Gran Cru
- Fragrance: fresh, intensely grassy with a predominant aroma of artichoke, cardoon, and green almond, enhanced by floral and cherry hints which create an extremely complex bouquet.
- Taste: ample, with strong and decisive spice and bitterness, overlaid with excellent harmony, great complexity of herbaceous hints and long persistence of smooth aromatic notes.
- Use: Excellent on potatoes, beans, chickpeas and vegetables in general; on red meat or strong-flavored fish; with fresh cheese, such as mozzarella, which enhance the fresh-green features of the oil. It perfectly pairs zucchini pies or artichoke cakes; ideal on grilled porcini mushrooms and first courses such as gnocchi or ricotta cheese tortellini with parmesan.
- Le Trebbiane
- Fragrance: fresh and clean fruity aroma, rich in grassy scents with a predominance of artichoke, elegant notes of fruit and spices.
- Taste: ample and harmonious, with herbaceous hints of artichoke, blossoms, and fruit, extremely complex. Medium intensity of harmonious bitter and peppery features, a rich finish with a long spicy persistence.
- Use: Ideal fresh on tuna carpaccio, seafood au gratin, porcini mushroom soup, shellfish stew, grilled meat and mature cheese. Excellent in soups, green or spelt salads, medium-flavored fish, legumes, bruschetta, and dip.
Rio Bravo Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coratina Variety
This Extra Virgin Olive Oil is from Southern California, Rio Bravo Ranch.
The characteristic of this olive oil is a medium to intense taste with notes green grass, green fruits and a kick of pepper.
The Coratina’s strong flavor makes it ideal for use in tomato and heavier bodied sauces, but with its spicy notes, it also performs well in salads and as a dipper. Additionally, for any soups that call for an olive oil finish, look no further than this fruity, peppery variety.
Awards: Gold 2018 Central Coast Olive Oil Competition, Gold 2018 California Olive Oil Council Competition, Silver 2018 Los Angeles International Olive Oil Competition.
Let’s check out some
bath & body products made with Rio Bravo Olive Oil
and handmade olive wood products!
This soap is handcrafted in Bakersfield by Soapterra, especially for Ruccello Olive Oil. It is made with 75% Olive Oil and the green color comes from olive leaf extract. This soap is gentle and soothing on your skin and is not drying.
Rio Bravo Olive Oil, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Distilled Water, Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Castor Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Olive Leaf extract, French Clay.
This Lip Butter is handcrafted in Bakersfield by Soapterra, especially for Ruccello Olive Oil. It is made with Rio Bravo Olive Oil and feels heavenly on your lips. This lip butter smells like chocolate mint and is deliciously soothing and moisturizing. Say goodbye to your chapped lips!
Rio Bravo Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Bees Wax, Organic Mango Butter, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Vitamin E, Essential Oils of Peppermint and Sweet Orange.
Olive Wood Cutting Board with handle, small
This beautiful cutting board would be a perfect addition to your kitchen. It’s beautiful enough to be a decoration piece and, of course, it makes a great cutting board.
This beautiful handcrafted bowl can be used for entertaining as well as every day. It will look beautiful in your kitchen and feel like you have a piece of Italy’s sunshine and olive trees in your home.
Olive wood has a beautifully bold grain and color variations which make each piece unique and special. Artisans, in Italy, hand create each piece showcasing the dramatic variations in tone and pattern that make each piece one of a kind.
- Handcrafted by Italian Artisans
- Natural variations in color and grain pattern make each piece unique.