Went to the Harmonie Club last night to hear about the Art of Fragrance. I was so excited to hear the fragrance trends, innovation and the ‘Nose’ speak about their 20 years of experience in the perfume world. Calise Becker and Trudi Loren collaborated on 10 fragrances and are great friends who are both CEW members. Shape Magazine did a poll with their readers and found out that 46% wear 1 favorite signature scent and 54% wear a diverse portfolio of perfumes.I am part of the 54% obviously.You are never fully dressed until you put on perfumeCalise: My father is an engineer and my mom is an artist. I was told because I am a woman, not from Grasse and not a daughter of a customer, I could never work in fragrance or go to perfume school. I told the CEO of that company, I am going to be a perfumer with or without you defiantly… and ended up getting hired! What this industry needs is a perfume with guts.Trudi: I come from a biochem and pharma research background. I applied for a job as an analytical chemist, had to do a smell test during my interview… and got to work with fragrance developers, marketing and currently Hermes, Clinique and Bobbi BrownCalise: My earliest fragrance memory is when I was 4 years old and my mom spritz me with a fashion cologne with flowers on the bottle… I spent the next 20 years figuring out how those flowers got into that bottle!Trudi: I remember my father wearing Pierre Cardin everyday and my mother’s Chanel no.5
- The most important thing that makes a star fragrance is Memorability (example is Angel by Thierry Mugler)
- A perfume is created when the imagery of an idea is translated to what it smells like
- Calise compares perfumery with the art of cooking
- Trudi says, the economy has caused the consumer to want more: so there is a return to artisan, nice which is the root of the art of perfumery
- The perfect fragrance comes about like a perfect storm
- Beauty bloggers and doing a big part in helping education the consumers (yay)
- there is a huge trend for sustainability platforms and starting with raw materials and building the story around it
- the industry has become ‘top note’ focused (aka superficial) and need to take the time to appreciate a perfume worn throughout the day and return to the classic structures
*HeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected*
June has been a whirlwind month for me!
Last week I went to the CEW event in Santa Monica and was blown away by the passion and inspiration that Cristina Carlino imparted on all us beauty hopefuls.
The crowd and venue were both beautiful and I am so excited to be going to the NYC event this week with Bobbi Brown.
She talked about how her target demographic was the ‘forgotten woman’ – the mother, the teacher, the nurse, the woman who does not have a good relationship with her mirror or the one who has not bought a lipstick in a long time.
They focused on beauty and love and not the intimidating BEAUTY and GLAMOUR that is often protrayed by the mainstream media.
“My dreams were bigger than my debt. And I had a really really big debt.” – Cristina Carlino Founder of philosophy beauty
*HeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected*
- I am flying back to LA tomorrow for this very special event in Santa Monica put on my Cosmetic Executive Women. I am so excited and will tell you all about it on Weds. If you are interested in joining CEW or attending events like this, click here.Top 10 List: How to Builda Beauty BrandCristina CarlinoFounderphilosophyTuesday, June 15, 2010Fairmont Miramar Santa MonicaSanta Monica, California6:00PM – 8:00PMA skinnovator for the past 22 years, Cristina Carlino has been the brains behind the Philosophy beauty brand since its inception. An accomplished author, inventor of the “micropeel,” and the creator of a medical skincare company, BioMedic, Carlino noticed a gap between the quality of the skincare offered in doctor’s offices versus what was sold in department stores. In order to fill the void, she leveraged BioMedics research and technology into a more affordable and cool cosmetics, health, and wellness line that could be enjoyed by all. And so she launched Philosophy in 1996 and took the beauty scene by storm. Touted for fast and effective do-it-yourself vitamin C peels, nearly edible food-inspired body washes, natural-looking makeup, and clean-smelling fragrances, Carlino’s revolutionary formulations have proven to be a successful marriage of science and fun.*HeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected*
- FIDM Beauty students made their way to the Beverly Hilton for the 2nd CEW West Coast event this year…FIDM Beauty students Kady Rick and Racine MowerI love her style 🙂
Christian Louboutin Top La T-Straps… I see ya baby!Beauty student Marisa Anhaltzer
Beauty student Cassandra BustamanteAll the ladiesBeverly Hilton
Me ^_^ , Ffiona Spilsbury, Bryan Cendejas, Heather Cuevas
Thanks for a wonderful evening!