Here’s some great news: you don’t have to sacrifice flavor to make a healthy choice! And did you know that duck fat has similar health benefits to olive oil and other unsaturated fats?Duck fat is only skin deep. Despite its rich, succulent taste, a skinless duck breast has fewer calories and less fat than a similar portion of chicken, beef or pork. Surprised? Just compare it to other types of meat and see the difference!
Although duck is popular among America’s finest chefs, you don’t need culinary training to prepare it. Duck is easy to prepare for everyday meals and is perfect for special occasions, and can be incorporated into a wide range of flavor profiles and cuisines by culinary adventurers everywhere.
What does duck taste like? Maple Leaf Farms farm-raised White Pekin duck has a delicious, red meat flavor that’s more similar to steak than to chicken or turkey, and substitutes equally well for both in recipes. Plus, duck is surprisingly healthy! By properly cooking duck, you can eliminate 70% of the fat, and duck is leaner and has less saturated fats than other meats.
For me, I am a hundred percent duck lover. I lived in Beijing for 8 years, and one thing I miss so much about my life there is Peking Duck. Luckily, I found out Maple Leaf Farms, who produced very high quality duck products. I can get a whole duck from there to eat Peking Duck at home. I feel so spoiled, but more, I feel so happy.
Whole Duck with Orange Sauce
USDA Grade A whole duck comes with a convenient orange sauce packet. Lightly marinated to ensure the best cooking experience. Raised and cared for according to the strictest well-being guidelines.
- Whole duck with giblets and a neck stuffed inside
- Seasoned with up to 12% of a solution of water, salt and sodium phosphate
- Gluten free (duck only)
- Ready to cook
- Thaw out duck in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Strip bag off duck. Remove neck, giblets, and orange sauce packet from body cavity.
- Rinse duck under cool water. Season to taste.
- Roast uncovered, breast up, on rack in roasting pan. Cook 22 minutes per pound.
- Remove from oven when internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (82 degrees C), measured at the thigh joint. The legs move freely and juices run clear when duck is done.
- One duck serves 2 to 4 people.
Weight of Portions: Approximately 5lb oz.
Total Weight of Item: Approximately 5lb
Case Weight: Approximately 30 lbs
Ingredients: Duck, water, salt, sodium phosphate. Orange Sauce Ingredients: Orange juice from concentrate, water, sugar, modified corn starch, dextrose, citric acid, salt, natural flavor, torula yeast, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate added to retard spoilage, caramel color, spice, extractives of paprika, onion powder.
Shelf Life: 2 Year Frozen
About Maple Leaf Farms:
Maple Leaf Farms, Inc. is America’s leading producer of quality duck products, supplying retail and foodservice markets throughout the world with innovative, value-added foods. Founded in 1958, Maple Leaf Farms is a fourth generation, family-owned company. For more information, contact Maple Leaf Farms at 1-800-348-2812 or visitwww.mapleleaffarms.com.
Grills will soon be heating up across the country for the Fourth of July holiday. Make your backyard barbeque a standout this year with duck. If you’re burned out on the usual beef, pork or chicken, duck is a versatile and delicious alternative to other meats — and it’s just as easy to prepare.
Just in time for Independence Day, Maple Leaf Farms has created a duck grilling kit complete with ready-to-grill duck products, duck grilling guide with duck recipes and an exclusive “Fire Quacker” apron. Its farm-raised White Pekin duck products have a tender, mild flavor that adapts to a variety of flavor profiles. Plus, duck is surprisingly healthy and is leaner and has less saturated fat than other meats.
The Fire-Quacker Duck Grilling Kit features 8 skinless duck breasts for a delicious filet flavor, 4 lbs. of all natural ground duck meat that’s great for burgers and 32 fully cooked duckbrats, a classic sausage made healthier with duck and Maple Leaf Farms’ newest product offering.
Duck has amazing, mouthwatering flavor when cooked on the grill and will be sure to turn up the heat at your next backyard get-together. This recipe using all new duck brats is a great way to introduce duck to your holiday celebration.
Find more recipes for the grill and information about cooking with duck at mapleleaffarms.com.
Tucker Family Duck Brats with Onion Jam
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4–6 Maple Leaf Farms Duck Brats, thawed
- 2 cups beef stock or beer
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4–6 hoagie rolls, toasted
1. In large pan, heat butter until foaming. On low heat add the onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper; stir and let onions caramelize for about 20 minutes. Add Dijon mustard and stir. Addduck brats to the pan and pour beef stock or beer over brats. Add apple cider vinegar and cook to medium heat; braise for 10 minutes. (Duck brats are already fully cooked).
2. Remove brats and let onion mixture simmer on medium while you finish the brats on a medium-high heat grill about 4–5 minutes on each side.
3. Serve brats in hoagie roll with onion jam on top.
- 8 to 10 oz. Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast Meat or Boneless Duck Breast, skin removed
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 10 oz. Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme, roughly chopped
- 1-3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder (divided)
- 6 slices Prosciutto
- Spicy or Course Ground Mustard for brushing meat
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry (cut in half and prepped to cover 2 Wellingtons)
- Egg Wash (1 Egg Yolk and 1 tsp. Water)
1. Season your duck breast meat with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pan and quickly sear the meat all over, about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes each side. Remove and allow to cool.
2. Roughly chop the mushrooms and pulse chop in a food processor to form a coarse breadcrumb-like texture. Scrape the mixture into a hot, dry pan. Add thyme, 3/4 tsp. of your garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook to allow the water to evaporate. When sufficiently dry (the mixture should be sticking together easily), set aside and cool.
3. Roll out a generous length of plastic wrap and lay out 3 slices of prosciutto, each one slightly overlapping each other. Spread half of the mushroom mixture evenly in a thin layer over the prosciutto. Repeat for the second Wellington.
4. Brush your duck breast meat all over with spicy mustard. Place 4-5 oz. of duck in the middle of each prepped prosciutto, and neatly roll it over the duck. Keeping a tight hold of the plastic wrap from the outside, roll it into a tight barrel shape and twist the ends to secure the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry thinly to a size which will cover your duck. Lightly egg wash the entire surface of one side of pastry and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Unwrap one of the meat logs from the plastic wrap and place the duck meat in the middle of dough. Fold dough over, stretching and pinching as needed, to seal completely. Remove any excess dough and fold any seams neatly to the underside. Place seam side down on a plate and egg wash over the top. Repeat the process for the second duck meat log. Chill again to let the pastry cool, approximately 20 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
6. When you’re ready to cook, egg wash again and use the back of a knife to lightly score the pastry. Do not cut through your pastry. Place bundles seam side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for about 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving in thick slices.
About Maple Leaf Farms:
Maple Leaf Farms, Inc. is America’s leading producer of quality duck products, supplying retail and foodservice markets throughout the world with innovative, value-added foods. Founded in 1958, Maple Leaf Farms is a fourth generation, family-owned company. For more information, contact Maple Leaf Farms at 1-800-348-2812 or visit www.mapleleaffarms.com.