It happens all the time. We break up, then we make up. We’re not surprised that Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony at the Hamptons just weeks after declaring divorce only weeks ago. For ages, we’ve been on this on again, off again rollercoaster that we can’t get off of, unless you’re not afraid to jump. Are we forever connected to our exes? Here are some reasons as to why we can’t help running back.
1. You’re comfortable with what you already know. Apparently, we don’t like to stray too far from home, literally. Dr. Karyl McBride, author of Will I Ever Be Good Enough: Healing The Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers, believes that people choose certain love partners to try to master trauma from childhood. She argues that we “tend to choose people who are similar to our parents because we’re attracted to the familiar.” It’s really difficult to start fresh and re-establish everything you worked so hard to develop. Would you throw it all away that easily? Dr. Sherrie Bourg Carter, author of High Octane Women, runs with this idea saying, “We all are very much creatures of habit and we get accustomed to our routines, what we feel comfortable with, kind of like an old pair of shoes.” It may not be perfect, but if the shoe fits…
2. You’re lonely. Okay, dating is scary and unbearably awkward. Sometimes it’s easier to just run back to safety. Author of Hot Monogamy and The Truth About Love, Pat Love, Ed.D, says, “When we’re unhappy with your life, there’s a natural tendency to go back to square one and remember the last time you were happy in your life.” This comes back to the idea of wanting to be with something you’re used to. On top of that, it’s so much easier to get what you want with someone who knows what you want in the long run. You can have your fun while dating with the enticing phone calls, spicy sex life and lavish dinners, but you’re going home alone. What would you rather have?
3. You’ve changed. Maybe it was the right person, just the wrong time. Could it still work, later down the road? Dr. Carter argues, “A couple may have a very strong chance of making it if the reasons they split up were situational.” This is suggesting it was a break-up due to things out of your control. Just don’t expect any huge changes on a person’s character. But just like we can’t change someone’s personality, we might not be able to change the way we feel about someone. Recently, Rihanna‘s reportedly hooking up with first boyfriend from 2006, Negus Sealy. Could we be forever attached to that ‘first love?’ Beverly Hills sports psychology counselor, Carla Lundblade says, “It has to do with the fact that they were together when they were younger during times that they were beginning to decide what work for them in relationships.” If you’re ready to try it again, you’ll have a better chance with someone you’ve already connected with in the past. It’s not necessarily a step backwards if you’re on a different mind-set.
4. You realize what you missed. This is my favorite. The grass isn’t greener on the other side, after all! Apparently, Scarlett Johansson has been trying to get back with her ex, Ryan Reynolds. “Scarlett had been asking Ryan to meet since the first week of June,” says the insider in Star Magazine. With the recent disaster with Sean Penn, she wants to go back home (and we can’t blame her for wanting more of that sexy monster). But it looks like there’s a deeper foundation behind the ‘don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone’ situation. Dr. Paul Zak, neuroscientist and professor at Claremont Graduate University in Southern California, says, “There is literally a craving chemical in the brain, like an addiction to be with someone.” On another note, maybe it’s completely out of your control. Likewise, Carla Lundblade recalls an idea called ‘frustration attachment’ — the notion that love stimulates the dopamine neuron, so when someone is trying to break up with someone, the desire for that dopamine and neurons to be stimulated actually increases. Now that’s something new! There’s actually a physical pull bringing you back and here you are making a fool of yourself over and over again. You’ve officially been warned.
5. You really want it to work out. Maybe there are social and cultural issues surrounding your relationship to the fact that it’d actually be better off if you two stuck it out. Dr. McBride suggests, “We kind of live in a narcissistic culture where it’s all about how it looks like, rather than who you really are.” She describes this superficial aspect of relationships as the ‘legacy of distorted love,’ based on either what I can do for you or what you can do for me. We all set our own standards for our relationships, and certain issues are out of our own hands. But we can control the level of our commitment and determination for a relationship to function, especially if it’s worked out at some time in the past. More often than not, couples that come back together, stay together. Dr. Carter says, “If people want to do something badly enough, and they want to make something work badly enough, they will make it work.”
Until next week! Follow @missamandachen
On July 12 it was official: Jennifer Lopez, 41, and Marc Anthony, 42, announced their divorce. They reported to People magazine saying, “We have decided to end our marriage. This was a very difficult decision. We have come to an amicable conclusion on all matters.” Married since June 2004, this couple can’t take it any longer.
Here are the rumors on why they broke up: Marc was jealous, Marc was controlling and Marc was cheating (notice how none of the problems were from Jennifer). I’m not so sure about the last one, but the first two claims are believable. I don’t think any of them expected Jennifer’s career to explode like this. Becoming People‘s ‘Most Beautiful Woman Alive’ at 40? Now that’s an achievement.
Is it me or is Jennifer literally going back in time? She looks younger and more beautiful every day. On top of it she’s judging American Idol and just released her new album, LOVE! She’s on a roll and Marc definitely isn’t acting like her number 1 fan. And why would he be? It makes sense that he would be jealous. How can he possibly compete with her when it’s always ‘JLo and Marc’ and never ‘Marc and JLo.’ Can he handle being ‘the husband’ and not ‘the man?’
Carla Lundblade, Beverly Hills sports and celebrity psychology councilor, believes that each individual has to make a unique decision for his or her own life. She says, “True happiness comes from genuine relationships and giving back in a way that is bigger than yourself — a way that helps other people.” Perhaps Marc feels like he doesn’t offer Jennifer the support he used to. Just being her husband might not be suffice for their relationship anymore. I mean, for a girl who has everything, what more can you offer her?
If this type of happiness is too difficult to obtain, there’s an easier way to get your happy fix — get it on your own. “Instant gratification is one aspect of happiness that everyone benefits a certain percentage from,” says Carla. I’m sure they love each other and love their children, but if they’re both so focused on their careers it’s difficult for me to imagine a lot of action in the bedroom. Perhaps their professional success might be more instantly gratifying.
It doesn’t help that Jennifer is super sexy and surrounds herself with equally sexy people. According to TMZ, there was nothing between her hubby co-star William Levy aka ‘Brad Pitt of Cuba’ during the filming of her hot ‘I’m Into You’ music video. “The only relationship there was or is, is a professional relationship. That’s all there’s ever been.” Purely professional or not, she’s still lying half naked next to a shiny, ab-tastic chest. God, talk about having the best job ever. Yum! I mean, all in a day’s work…
Speaking of other hot guys, did you know that Jennifer’s mom Gaudalupe reached out to Ben Affleck? Us Magazine says the divorce was announced three days after Ben’s response. We all remember those ‘Bennifer’ days and how intense their love seemed. Do you feel the same way about her and Marc? Sources say he was a ‘bad husband.’ But I think if he wanted to perform with his own wife on American Idol it should be okay. Why does that make him controlling? We can’t know all the details, but to me it looks like Marc was trying really hard to keep them together. I guess a little too hard. He pushed his woman to the edge!
I know we’re talking about celebrities, but the way the couple openly discussed their divorce and are working together on the legalities of it shows that this was a decision they made together. Carla isn’t being optimistic about break-ups. She’s just suggesting that there doesn’t really need to be a specific problem in the relationship for a couple to make this decision. “Divorce is just one of those life changing moments that a lot of growth can come out of.”
Statistically speaking, 60-80% of athletes and celebrities become divorced or have financial difficulties. With facts like that it’s hard for Carla to be surprised about Jennifer and Marc breaking up after seven years. But were they selfish for wanting to go on their own? What about the kids? Carla believes there is nothing selfish about getting a divorce. If anything, it shows a sign of maturity. “If a couple is choosing to stay together only because of the kids but are not happy with each other. Kids know what’s going on even if it’s not spoken about,” she argues. “Life is not easy for any of us and we can’t affect the tragedies that happen over time. If our kids don’t experience this in divorce they will experience it in other ways.”
Do you think JLo and Marc Anthony just grew apart, or do you think there was a secret scandal that happened behind closed doors?
Until next week! Follow @missamandachen
I’m trippin and I can’t get over, I feel like a 4 leaf clover.
I know exactly what she means… and that hair at 1.40 my GAWD :):) JLo is BACK! I’m into you… If you understand me, you can overwhelm me. That’ Shakira/Beyonce hair works for everyone right? Can’t wait for summer loving….
- Jennifer Lopez: a Hollywood icon
With the spotlight on,
The power of glamour,
The allure of beauty &
The dream of love light up the screen.
Jennifer steps front and center once again.
Lights. Camera. Passion
LOVE & GLAMOUR
A showstopper, this starlet reflects the elegantly extravagant, luxurious side of Jennifer Lopez. Surging with sparkling, juicy top notes, Love & Glamour lingers with a sexy bouquet of floral mid notes before wrapping you up in a smoldering musky dry down.
Top Notes: Italian Mandarin, Guava, Nectarine Pulp
Mid Notes: Waterlily, Cocount Orchid, Orange Flower Absolute, Jasmine Petals
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Sensual Musk, Sleek Amber
BOTTLE & CARTON
Inspired by the confident and voluptuous physique of a woman, the sculptured bottle is washed in a palette of soft gold and delicate rose, a feminine, yet striking contrast. Adding a touch of glam with a jewel‐like cap, the bottle embodies Jennifer’s undeniable star power.
The carton design, with its bold star imprint bursting with sparkling stardust, personifies the essence of passion and glamour while continuing to embrace the “bling” Jennifer has always been identified with.
Eau de Parfum 75 mL/2.5 fl oz SRP: $58.00
Eau de Parfum 50 mL/1.7 fl oz SRP: $49.50
Body Lotion 200 mL/6.7 fl oz SRP: $27.50
You know how much I am obsessed with JLo! We are all very excited about her newest fragrance. If you are interested in winning Love & Glamour, leave a comment telling me about your deepest ‘passion’! Giveaway Winner will be announce on Twitter Nov 30th.
*HeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected*
*HeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected*
So many of my friends *ahem and by that I mean exboyfriends* are having babies these days that it has really got me thinking about motherhood and having babies. I think having children is a blessing and truly a wonderful thing when you are READY. That means emotionally, financially and mentally.
My cousin just had a baby this month my ex in June, my friend in Jan and another in March.
So it’s really been a lot of babies around. Nothing sweeter than the love a baby evokes from the toughest of dudes and nothing more fierce than a father/mother’s love for their young. JLo looks happy and ‘complete’ now that she has everything and her little ones. Sigh. Puppies for me for now.Check out the ads for the new JLo MyGlow. (Babies in ad not Emme & Max)The Bottle
A soft drop shaped bottle serves as the pedestal for a delicate silver collar and precious cherub cap. Inspired by soaps from Jennifer’s nursery, the cap is dual sided with a baby boy and girl – Jennifer’s personal expression of her own twins.
Lavender Flower, Water Lily, Freesia
White Rose, Wet Leaves, Peony, Casablanca Lily
Skin Musk, Milky Sandalwood, Precious Woods, HeliotropeHeyDoYou is for the cute, clever and connected! Follow this blog!