Alejandro Chaban’s 5 Ways to Overcome Gymtimidation
1) Problem: LACK OF KNOWLEDGE: You’re there and you have no idea how to use the machines or all of those weird balls. The only thing you see is all those expert people jumping from one machine to the next and you just stare at them with a confused look on your face without knowing where to start.
SOLUTION: Invest in one session with a personal trainer that can show you how to use the machines work and design a specific routine for you. Another option that’s cheaper is to go on You Tube and look for different video tutorials that show you how to work every muscle and even learn fun cardio routines to practice at home.
2) Problem: COMPETITION: Getting to the gym the first few days and looking at the girl next to you and wanting to compete with her is a VERY bad idea. The only thing you’re going to do with this is feel bad if you can’t keep up with her.
SOLUTION: Don’t compare yourself to anybody. Your only competition is yourself. You don’t know the other girl’s story, what drives her and how long she’s been doing this.
3) Problem: PUBLISH YOUR TRAINING: When we’re first starting we want EVERYONE to know what we’re doing and we share it on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and every other way we can think of. This causes us to spend more time on our phones than actually working out.
SOLUTION: Leave your phone in the locker or use it only to listen to music. Stop telling the world you’re going to work out and just WORK OUT! I’m guilty of taking a few selfies here and there but I try not to and always tell myself FOCUS ALEJANDRO! At the end of the day if you don’t work out you won’t have any results to share.
4) Problem: WRONG CLOTHES: This doesn’t mean that you should get the most expensive and trendy clothes for the gym, it’s about having the right underwear, pants, shoes and socks. This is important for you to feel comfortable, confident and to avoid injuries. I used to go to the gym with those huge heavy cotton shirts that were always 3 sizes bigger, when I saw myself in the mirror I got even more depressed and lost all my motivation. WATCH IT! It’s not about being naked in public LOL.
5) Problem: SIMPLICITY: When you go to the gym try to take as less things as possible, I used to take a padlock, water, my phone, an ipod, a bag, towels, mi protein shake my wallet, a book and 40 different things. This just made me lose my focus and I always ended up losing stuff.
SOLUTION: Try to take as little as possible and leave everything in the locker.
Alejandro Chabán is one of the youngest motivational speakers in the U.S. and is a best-selling author for his book De Gordo a Galán (From Fatty to Hottie). Chabán dedicates his time to sharing his life experience of battling obesity, anorexia and bulimia during his teenage years, and how he was able to transform himself into an admired actor, author, motivational speaker and entrepreneur. Chabán created the Yes You Can! Diet Plan, the first and only diet plan created by Hispanics for Hispanics. Based on Chabán’s life experience and certified by a team of experts, the Yes You Can! Diet Plan focuses on Nutrition, Emotional Health, Movement and Dietary Supplements. Chabán has had years of National TV experience and has been featured in a number of National English and Hispanic Magazines.
Do 1 thing a day that scares you.
Today I went to the gym! I have been avoiding pushing myself physically for a long long time with excuses for days. This month I decided to face myself and the 20 pounds I have gained over the years. Time to get inspired!
Check out my friend’s fitness blog http://fitlifenick.com
What are your autumn resolutions?
My Girl Mae West Said…
“I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.”
I love this quote. It applies all across the board to love, life, jobs and even working out. No one ever ever told you life was going to be easy now did they? Everyone does the same thing but it’s how you do it that makes the difference.
get it RIGHT
I got a feeling… that it’s going to be a VERY sexy summer this year 🙂
In my next life, I needs me a Jessica White to be my wife… DA-YUM!
As soon as March hits, I can’t help but think about summer. I love spending my day lying on the grass under the sun at the Music Garden, long walks, bikinis, little summer dresses, extra large ice cold fruit smoothies, bulging and glistening biceps from all the boys showing off their arms, flip flops and last but not least summer LOVING.
You can always tell who was working out during the cold months, because their bod is ridiculous when summer time hits. Don’t feel left out this season lol, step up your “summer sexy” and get things right before the sun comes out to play. Um… no crash diets or anything unhealthy please… you could jump rope for 15 minutes everyday and be FIT (both kinds) by the time summer hits. Oh and drink LOTS of water and moisturize religiously for beautiful supple skin, try your best to eat right (lots of fruit and vegetables) and you’ll be A-OK.
You can get a jump rope at Walmart for like $5… no seriously, do it, you won’t regret it.
So what do you do to get your body in tip top shape for sunny weather?
peace, love and health
ps: check out bodyrock tv for some dope work out inspiration!