Just like us, our pets may suffer from Diabetes. Being obese or overweight can contribute to this condition, and since November is National Pet Diabetes Month, we want to offer information about this that you can share and publish. We also recommend fresh pet food for your pets!
- It may surprise you to learn that dogs and cats can both suffer from Diabetes, also called diabetes mellitus. 1 out of 100 dogs has it by the age of 12 and between 1 in 50 or 1 in 500 cats will also have this condition. In diabetic cats and dogs, their pancreatic cells produce little or no insulin, or there is an abnormal response to the insulin that is produced.
The effects upon your pets are life-changing. For dogs the most common diabetes-related issues include
- Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia (that may be induced by incorrect insulin dosing)
- Ketoacidosis (ketones and high acidity in body fluids)
- Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia (that may be induced by transient remission or incorrect insulin dosing)
- Chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Poor grooming and dry, lusterless coat
- Recurrent infections
- Ketoacidosis (ketones and high acidity in body fluids)
- Peripheral Neuropathy (nerve dysfunction resulting in an abnormal stance)
To manage your pet’s Diabetes, you must visit your veterinarian. And, as part of the treatment, they will most likely recommend not only insulin therapy but also a program that includes what to feed your pet (wholesome, real foods such as found in Freshpet) as well as quantity and timing of each meal. Exercise will also be part of this program since many pets are overweight. With the correct wholesome food, exercise and management with your vet’s assistance, your pet can live a healthy life!
Freshpet: Freshpet is real, all natural pet food made from scratch with the freshest ingredients in their kitchen. Freshpet meals are crafted using real meat and veggies you can see. They never have any preservatives – that’s why you’ll find their products in the fridge in the pet food aisle.
Cami is almost 9 months old now and so far she has been on a raw diet! We are open to letting her try various treats and foods out there as long as they are top notch quality! A lot of people have asked me what my ‘goals’ are and intent in feeding Cami such high quality food. I guess I have a few answers. One, I want to make sure she thrives and not just survives. I want her to be healthy, happy and eating what is BIOLOGICALLY appropriate for her. If I feed a bird Snickers bar instead of seed and worms that it’s suppose to have, you will feel strange right? I think dogs need what they are designed to eat, meat. Yet I know living in urban cities and homes, sometimes you need alternatives. So we have found a bunch of stuff that’s awesome, nutritious and accessible! Hope you enjoy our list for this month!
- Health Extension has been keeping pets healthy since 1963 by offering nourishing recipes that pet parents can feel good about serving to their pets. Each recipe is crafted with super premium ingredients to help support stronger bones and immune system. Made in the USA, their diets include:
- Grain Free Dry Dog food varieties offer all the health benefits of the Holistic Health Extension System in a grain-free formula. You won’t find any added hormones – just high-quality meat as the first ingredient – because sensible protein levels are the first step to a healthy life. Available in: Buffalo & Whitefish, Chicken & Turkey, Salmon, Duck, Venison, and Buffalo & Whitefish Little Bites.
- Grain Free Stews for dogs are a superb source of high-quality protein. The formulas also provide an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Your dog will enjoy and benefit from the stew due to its lack of growth hormones, steroids, meat by-products, and allergy related fillers. Available in: Chunky Chicken Stew, Tasty Turkey Stew and Savory Beef Stew.
We recently tried the Savory Beef Stew and I mix in a spoonful along with her breakfast. She loves it!
We always read the ingredients label so here it is:
beef broth, chicken, beef, Carrots, dried egg whites, potato starch, dried egg product, peas, Guar gum, salt, added color, Tricalcium Phosphate, dried potatoes, sodium phosphate, beet pulp, ground flaxseed, potassium chloride, natural flavor, Ferrous Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrocloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, folic Acid.
2. We tried vension from Nature’s Logic! This brand is dedicated to offering diets that are made exclusively with whole foods and 100% natural ingredients. Available for both canines and felines, the diets:
- Are free of common allergens and include no corn, wheat, rice, soy, potato, tapioca, peas, or sweet potatoes
- Contain natural antioxidants from fruits and vegetables grown in the USA
- Do not contain any man-made synthetic vitamins, minerals or amino acids, nor any genetically engineered fruits, veggies, nuts, grasses, or seeds
- Have probiotics and enzymes that help increase nutrient absorption and aid in digestion
- Are nutrient dense and highly digestible
This one is more like a pate type of consistency and was easy to scoop out. It is moist and has no ‘gravy’. Cami loves this one too! One of the interesting ingredients in this food is clay. I know it has wonderful minerals and used often in products for detox. This is probably the easiest way for me to feed and give Cami liver!
3. Cami graduated from Puppy School! We decided to check out 2 schools in the last few months and I recommend them both! One is more of a formal class with 6-8 students and held at Smarty Paws and the 2nd one is by Tino (Peace Love and Pitbulls) held at a outdoors at Desert Breeze Park. What I liked about taking Cami is learn is that she can be around dogs without always being in ‘play’ mode and she learned a lot! Even though I had Jacob for 11 years, it is always good to get a refresher course for new puppies! Puppies are brand new and need a lot of exposure to various situations.
4. Toy Store! One of our friends from school told us about the Dog Supplies Outlet store so we went to check it out. It was filled with toys, treats and the best part was Cami got a chirpy ball from JW and an orange monkey fist knot rope. Very successful and tons of fun.
5. Treats ++ This brand is so cool. I and Love and You dog treats are Nice Moist Jerky and can be used for training. We used these in school and Cami learned ‘down’. They are easy to tear into small bits and the Chicken and Duck are so yummy and considered a ‘high value’ treat that’s perfect for training. We also trained with their dry kibble… They are heart shaped! Grain free and filled with Probiotics for easy digestion.
6. Uber for Dogs? No really. This is the first on demand Dog Walking App! I haven’t tried it yet because they don’t service Vegas but I’d love to be a walker. Check out Wag App.
7. I saw this funny dog tag on BADTAGS.com. This is not Cami but it looks a lot like her! ha ha!
8. One of the oldest brand of dog treats I recall is the Bil Jac Liver in the milk carton type packaging! I am so happy to see their brand update includes the ORIGINAL recipes still! This one is a fan favorite and Cami loves when I hide these in her toys and Kong! A word from Bil Jac:
- Because of our unique processing, no fat is added to Bil-Jac Super Premium Dog Food.
- We use much more REAL CHICKEN and REAL CHICKEN ORGANS than other leading brands.
- We never use grain gluten meals or grain protein concentrates as a source of protein in our formulas.
- Our use of carbohydrates is to provide nutritional balance and energy — not as a substitute for protein.
- Our unique processing method may eliminate the perceived “allergic” symptoms dogs exhibit when carbohydrates in their diet are not properly processed.
I and Love and You has the perfect treats to help you two best friends kick off your new awesome journey together. As you know, Cami started school 3 weeks ago and she is doing really well!
Treats are used to deliver rewards for positive behavior during the training process. Dogs can get distracted easily and treats serve as reinforcement and a lure back to focus on the task at hand.
ILY’s Nice Jerky Bites are the perfect blend of the awesome taste your dog will definitely roll over for, and the nutritious benefits that keep him healthy. With three yummy flavor choices – Chicken + Salmon, Chicken + Duck and Beef + Lamb. We were working on ‘Down’ for 2 weeks and finally, the ILY’s treats got her to do it!
For a filling post-train meal, ILY’s new Naked Essentials Kibble gets Spike back in action for the rest of the day. Three different recipe choices: Salmon + Trout, Chicken + Duck and Lamb + Bison. Cami tried a bit of the kibble today and loved it! The ingredients are super and grain free. I will keep these on hand for days she is not having raw.
I and Love and You Nice Jerky Bites (SRP: $7.99) and Naked Essentials Kibble (SRP: $11.99 for 4lb bag) are available in stores at Kroger’s, Wegman’s and available online at Chewys.com,amazon.com, and additional retailers.
A survey from Plano Pet Treats indicates that we like to bestow our pets with special treats on the most romantic day of the year. PetPlate.com is a perfect gift for pet parents who want to show their furry friends their affection on Valentine’s Day by feeding them a wholesome diet of fresh-cooked ingredients, without any of the work.
PetPlate.com makes it easy for pet parents to nourish their pets with love by delivering fully-prepared meals made from real ingredients, such as USDA meat and fresh vegetables. PetPlate meals do not contain any by-products, rendered meats or preservatives. The meals are designed by a veterinary clinical nutritionist for nutritional balance, and are pre-portioned and ready to serve. Cold-pressure technology is used to destroy harmful bacteria and lock in nutrition and flavor. The company offers a convenient subscription service that automatically ships the meals directly to the consumer on a regular basis.
As you know, both Jacob and Cami were on home cooked meals! Jacob almost always had chicken stew or beef stew and Cami has been on raw since 8 weeks old. I am always open to checking out new ways to feed your pet. I think PetPlate is a wonderful option for people who don’t have time to cook for their dogs.
Receive $40 off their first order when they enter the coupon code LOVE at checkout.
To celebrate National Dog Day – Purina Pro Plan hosted a gourmet 7 course meal for pet media in NYC. Purina’s gourmet chef, Chef Amanda prepared several courses that were designed to inspire those who developed the Pro Plan SAVOR product line, which combines the high quality nutrition with exceptional taste that dogs love!
Chef Amanda has been with Purina for over 10 years, preparing meals that serve as a source of inspiration to those who develop the product lines for pets. After tasting their way through one of her carefully crafted menus, her colleagues then get to work creating pet foods based on the flavors and insights presented in her kitchen.
The dinner guests included the team from Purina, their PR executives and expert pet scientist and local NY Vet to discuss, taste, textures and eating habits of dogs.
I brought home some great samples and Jacob loved them all!
It is important to READ the label everyone!
Check out the new Purina Pro Plan Savor line at your local pet or grocery store!
As you may or may not know, Jacob has only ate a handful of dog food in his 9 years and mostly has eaten raw or home cooked meals. How do you cook for your dog? Why should you cook for your dog? Is it easy? What can my dog eat? All of these questions are answered in the Healthy Hound Cookbook. It is a great way to introduce your pet and yourself to how to eat ‘real food’. Dog food esp kibble is not NATURAL! Dogs, like all beings, should eat fresh, nutritious fruits, vegetables and meats. Check out this book to get healthy this spring!
Your best friend deserves the best, and the simple, all-natural recipes in The Healthy Hound Cookbook (Adams Media, April 18, 2014) will make it easy to create healthy treats and meals for your favorite canine.
Authors Paris Permenter and John Bigley, of the popular DogTipper.com website, have crafted more than 125 nutritious recipes using healthy, fresh ingredients from your kitchen. From Oatmeal Turkey Dog Biscuits to Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Ice Cream, each of these homemade dishes uses only real, whole ingredients like beef, chicken, potatoes, and carrots, so you’ll always know that your furry friend is getting a snack that’s flavorful as well as nutritional.
You’ll also find information on cooking techniques, recipes for pets on grain-free, Paleo, or raw diets, and a portion calculator to adjust serving sizes according to breed.
With the whole foods recipes in The Healthy Hound Cookbook, your dog will start living a more natural, happier and more flavorful life.
More About the Authors:
Paris Permenter and John Bigley founded DogTipper in 2008, and since then, it has grown into a trusted website for dog lovers. They have been featured in USA Today, The Huffington Post, Every Day with Rachael Ray, Redbook, and Men’s Health and have written over 2,500 magazine articles for publications ranging from Reader’s Digest to Cesar’s Way. As America’s Pet Economist™ and a certified dog trainer, Paris speaks at pet expos and conferences around the country. Paris and John live with their two dogs and four cats near Austin, TX.